Thursday 12 February 2009

Noise Level, Speed and Traffic Flow

Before formulating my design and urban strategies statement, I think it is good if I take a step back to analyze these site-specific condition of the area. Noise level, speed and traffic flow were mapped to help in the understanding and revealing other potentials and constraints of the site. The noise level mapping is speculative and not precise, but will be revised for better and consistent readings. Hopefully, these mappings would help in generating better design solutions for the proposal.

2 comments:

Marco said...

Hi Hafiz,

the mapping is ok for me.
What would be good is if you could build up a critical attitude to the site through the mapping. I.e., what the noise mapping tells you about the site. Do you need to distribute mass onto the site in a specific way in order to screen and to improve the noise level on your site? Do you need to protect one side of the site by the car noise? Do you need to lower any public surface to avoid noise? Etc.
I'll read the urban strategy statement in the next day and I'll comment on that too.

Jonathan Dawes said...

Hafiz- as we discussed on Saturday I think the mappings seem rather generic and I don't think they will reveal anything of significance about the site that will assist you in developing a strategy and proposal. Issues about journeys, views and the hierarchies when different routes become intertwined will be much more productive and allow multiple levels of exploration regarding topography, public realm and layers of differing topologies (as we see later with your Gyre analysis) My recommendation is to become immediately speculative and use the strategies to measure the effectiveness of your initial proposals- Thanks- Jonathan